Wednesday, May 13, 2009

May Days:-)

Well, we have been having beautiful weather where it actually feels hot here but windy and then today looking out my window...rain. I think it's supposed to rain the next few days which is a downer but hopefully the weather men are wrong!
Saturday is Speech Day, which is apparently the biggest day of the school year here. They have a huuuuge tent set up (like for weddings) down on the lacrosse/rounders/athletics fields where it'll take place and the whole school comes. They give out all kinds of rewards and apparently it's really boring but a big deal and everyone has to dress up (no idea what to wear!)
One week from Speech Day, I'll be on my way to meet Christine and Lisa in Malaga, Spain where it is currently (hold on, let me check)...sunny and 70 degrees! It will feel warmer though because it is so far south. I remember in the Canary Islands it was like 65-70 some days and we were like oh man, we won't get any sun and we ended up getting tan and had to use the pool to cool off! So, I am going to start researching Spain-y/Malaga-y things to do around there so we can get the whole experience including camel riding:-) I'm very excited and then I come back and I will have to start thinking about how to get my life into 2 suitcases to come home!
I'm not sure what I'm doing for July yet before I come home because I wanted to do Greece but the girl who told me she's going is going with her sister and 2 friends and her sister booked it all and now the travel agent is away until the end of May and I'll be in Spain and blah blah blah sooo I'm not sure what my plan is yet for then..maybe I'll be coming home early!:-)
Let me try and recap from the last time I wrote..hmm..
Since lacrosse is over, I have been helping with the Summer term sports which are: Rounders, Tennis, and Athletics (very interesting). Athletics is like Track&Field and I've been to two events which are all day on Wednesdays which is nice to break up the week a bit. The first one we went to was District and the other teacher I went with and I got the job of announcing and recording in the box in the stands-very interesting. She kept wanting me to announce to see how people would react to my accent and I refused. When she'd leave to go to the toilet, they would walky-talky something to announce and I'd put my head down so they thought no one was in the box lol BUT I was a good recorder of all the times and names and everything!
The next one we went to was the next week and it was all the girls who qualified for County and we took about 13 girls and my job was just to sit with the girls that day and make sure they got to their events on time and such. Yesterday, at the last minute, we found out that one girl needed to go to Cmbrawn (soo Welsh) to do her javelin throw so I went with another teacher and she drove the 3 of us there, she threw her javelin and won, we drank tea, and came back lol so that was a quick trip! I am mainly doing Athletics and I am actually learning alot about the techniques and how to teach things like: shot put, long jump, hurdles, high jump, sprinting, etc. so it is a good experience. I have also been playing tennis and told Lisa we are playing this summer. I'm not that great but it is really fun and my arm hurts the next day which may or may not mean I'm doing something wrong lol.
Lastly, I have a couple Rounders lessons and that is just a game that I will never get into..it's even worse than softball. Maybe this summer we can have a family party and I can teach everyone how to play rounders up at Western Hills or something lol.
A couple weekends ago it was bank holiday weekend which I still don't understand what it is but I just know that banks were closed on Monday so schools were too. I went to Dublin with another girl and it was very fun. We got there Friday night, dropped our stuff and went out to this club 2 doors down from where we were staying and then Saturday we took the train to Bray to go see the coast and walked around there. Sunday we woke up and did the Dublin bus tour and we decided not to tour the cathedrals or anything since we had seen enough history in London but we did do the Guinness factory tour which was reallllly cool. I have lots of pictures and I didn't put them all on Facebook since it takes so long but it was really really neat..I will have to explain it more when I got home. I got a shirt from there which was my only Dublin souvenir which my mom couldn't believe but ya know..I'm not made of money-gotta prioritize! :-) Sunday afternoon/evening we went to this realllly good Mexican restaurant that the Dublin tour bus guide said was his favorite in all of Dublin because for some reason we were both craving Mexican and we both got REALLY GOOD enchilladas! So then we made our way to the airport that night and we got back into London and took the tube and buses back to where she lived and got to bed late. It was nice seeing where she was though because I like seeing other peoples' lives here and living situations and such. So we didn't get to bed until after 1am then I was up at 7am to make my way back to Monmouth and got back here around 1pm or so...so it was a long and busy weekend but very worth it!
I can't think of anything else right now but if I do, I will include it in my next blog. Oh! I sent my Mom an "I <3 MUM" mug for mother's day which I was very proud of since she calls herself "mum" to me now:-) And I received two very lovely cards from her and Sissy that they made at the beach:-)
Ok, that's all for now!

love you miss you!
DP

No comments: